Rods w/Torsa?

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

Rods w/Torsa?

Postby throwbacki » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:21 pm

Hi Larry,
Noticed that the rods that were used on the 2 sailfish shows I saw recently took a helluva bend---seemed like lots of power in a pretty light package. I did take note that the reels used were Torsas, but missed the rod model info---what were they?
By the way, great shows. It's a pleasure to watch a guy enjoying his fishing without having to wonder whether the equipment he's using is dictated by a sponsor. I'm sure there's more than a little quid pro quo stuff going on(a guy's gotta make a living, right?), but I get the feeling that you wouldn't use a rod or reel that wasn't "perfect" for the task at hand. Of course I could be wrong about that, but then you would have to be an even better actor than you are a fisherman. You're not, are you?

Thanks............Bob
throwbacki

Postby dahlberg » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:33 pm

Hi TB,
You're right, the rods I was using weigh less than 5 ounces and can put an unbelievable amount of pressure on a fish without killing the angler!
They're trevala jigging rods which are designed for butterfly jigging but I've found them to be great for big catfish, light tackle billfishing, and even trolling with large lures.
When you really bear down on them they bend close to the handle which gives the angler a big leverage advantage over stiff rods that don't bend much at all.
They've developed a process that keeps the shaft from going oval and crushing under super heavy stress, which has been a big problem with lightweight rods in the past. I've actually tried to break them using 130# line and pulled until my toe nails bled, and so far they're 100%!
You're quite right about my being a better angler than actor! I dont' sing or dance well either.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Anders » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:36 pm

Bob,

I'm not sure which rod he was using in that episode but I can tell you from experience what I learned from Larry about rods. I purchased a Trevala jigging rod after seeing Larry catch some catfish with it. Since then I have caught 5lb flounder to 75 lb red drum with it and the two twins i bought it. The Trevala is very sensitive, especially when used with braid, and it didn't even sweat bringing in all the drum I've caught with it. i have seen Larry use this rod on numerous big fish including sail fish and dogtooth tuna. I highly recommend if you couldn't tell. I would put my money on it that when combined with a Torsa there would be nothing you couldn't catch as long as you personally, not the equipment, could handle it. One of the best parts about all the backbone that rod provides is that it is so light. Good luck out there.

Anders
Anders

I thought so....

Postby throwbacki » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:52 pm

But a couple things threw me.
1)Shocking amount of pressure for such a skinny blank.
2)Didn't notice a trigger on the rods used on the show. (Can't stand 'em).
3)Price. Talk about bang for the buck!

Thanks again....

ps. Anders...TVC66M?
throwbacki

Postby Anders » Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:40 pm

TVC60H

Best rod out there. I know the came out with the new F series but i don't know how they could make them any better than they already were.
Anders

Return to Saltwater Questions