jig mold help.

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

jig mold help.

Postby sc_shark » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:19 pm

this is my first post but i would like to say ive been watching larry do his thing for ever it seems.. and recently have been a you tube stalker trying to figure out molds. lets just say your insperation to me.

i recieved an old jig(lead) for virtical jigging from a friend in japan one of his lucky jiggs lol i would really like to make a mold from it so i can make them for myself. it would be a lead pour iirc its 7oz they do grams so im not 100% sure on that without doing the match.

what would be the best method to copying the mold that would be lead friendly.. i had seen larry do a big plug with the rtv(pink) and left the top open for pouring. i have also seen the 2 part mold (2 sided) which opens up.

is their any type of a internal rattle i could inset near the head that would be semi audible thru the lead? concidering i would be fishing 100+ deep the slow+ a rattle or sound may help.

i would be doing a powder flow/glow paint/dip with a uv clean on top. as my finished product.

thx 4 the help and glad to be on the site. hope to post my finish pieces.
sc_shark

Re: jig mold help.

Postby dahlberg » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:45 am

Either mold putty or plat 55 would be the best choice for pouring lead. There are 28 grams per ounce.
You might consider just adding something to bump against the lead for sound, or use a lead alloy like babbit which makes a "clinking" higher pitched sound than the dull thud of pure lead.
In any case, good luck!
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to Saltwater Questions