Max Drag & Max Braided Line Test?

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

Max Drag & Max Braided Line Test?

Postby tman » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:38 pm

Hi Larry,

I recall that show where you guys pulled up a manta ray. I was wondering, with the larger saltwater reels (i.e. reels used on goliath grouper or even marlin, for that matter), what is the maximum drag force on those larger reels (feel free to give a range)? For example, I know that the largest Tiagra has 99 lb. of drag, not sure on the Torsa and the Trinidad, by comparison, 25 lb. Are these reels that would be used under the above described conditions?

I was also wondering what the maximum pound test braid these reels get spooled with? I assume that the leaders may be heavier for abrasion resistance but what about the line on the actual larger reels?

I also ask because I was wondering what kind of terminal tackle you have on the end (i.e. Size 5 or Size 6, etc. snaps)?

Thanks
tman

Re: Max Drag & Max Braided Line Test?

Postby dahlberg » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:03 am

We use up to 200 lb power pro and in the case of groupers tighten the drags so tight you cannot pull line off the reel even when it is in free spool.
On marlin and tuna which are able to swim at really high speeds usually something bad happens when the drags are that tight.
The max drag on any reel can be significantly increased by filling the reel only half full.
As far as terminal gear, usually crimps or knots, or the biggest baddest snap you can find!
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to Saltwater Questions