Seychelles reef fish

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

Seychelles reef fish

Postby Phil Chavez » Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:48 am

I saw you hold a Lyre Tail Grouper (beautiful fish), A Longnose Emperor, and what some refer to as Red Snapper, but I believe is really a type of Grouper instead of a true snapper. It was the red fish that the camera focused in tight on the purple eye.

Can you tell me the rest of the fish that you showed. Some of the pictures of them went by too fast for me to identify. I noticed the Lyre Tail and the Longnose because I have caught a lot of them before. Longnose are great fighters in the shallows.

Thanks....Phil...>)))>
Phil "Fishing with Phil" Chavez
Phil Chavez

Postby Henslo86 » Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:47 am

as someone who loves to cook, i think i can tell you what that red grouper is. I believe that was a strawberry grouper, which is a delicious fish-I could be wrong though, but that looks exactly like the ones I've handled.
Henslo86

Postby Phil Chavez » Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:46 pm

Henslo86 wrote:as someone who loves to cook, i think i can tell you what that red grouper is. I believe that was a strawberry grouper, which is a delicious fish-I could be wrong though, but that looks exactly like the ones I've handled.

I use to catch these Strawberry Groupers when casting for trevally using poppers. Sometime the water was 100 feet deep and these guys would hit the poppers.

The locals called it a Red Snapper, but they also called the Trevallys "Skipjacks". Funny thing is, they would call the "Skipjack Tuna" Skipjacks. They had their native words for the fish, but for the english version it sometimes got confusing.

When they told me they caught skipjack insode the reef i thought they were crazy. While fishing in Palau, I caught Yellowfin Tuna up to 25 pounds inside the reef. I hooked a Sailfish inside the reef near a channel. So I guess everything is possible.
Phil "Fishing with Phil" Chavez
Phil Chavez

Return to Saltwater Questions