Anyone recommend good Keys guide?

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

Anyone recommend good Keys guide?

Postby Legacy » Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:23 pm

I'll be staying 10 days on Islamorada during the beginning of March. Looking for any guide recommendations. I generally fish light gear - - up to 18 pound test unless wreck fishing. Like the flats, wrecks and offshore equally. My wife thinks it's an obsession! Looking for a guide (or guides) for 3 days and then we'll do 4 days on our own with a rental boat. Thanks!
Rick McKenna
"Legacy"
Boston Harbor
Legacy

Postby dahlberg » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:04 am

Hi Leg,
It's been so long since I've been down there a good share of my former fishing buddies in the middle keys are either no longer with us on earth, or no longer able to fish.
I could refer you to a few guys way down in the lower keys but can't steer you to a 100%er in that area.
Sorry!
Maybe some of the others who view this forum can offer a suggestion or two.
thanks,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Landlocked » Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:26 pm

Give Capt David Sheffield a call in Marathon. He'll definitely put you on the fish.

305-731-9469

captainbigdave@comcast.net

You might also want to ask some of the locals on the FSForums Keys section. Lot of nice guys on there who are willing to recommend some good guides.

http://outdoorsbest.zeroforum.com/zeroforum?id=9
Landlocked

Postby Van Staal Man » Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:36 pm

I would go with Capt. Cliff Tatje, I fished with Cliff in January and it was awesome. The man simply knows the waters so well you will catch lots of fish with him. www.captcliff.com or www.gottago2.com. His right in the center of Islamorada.
Van Staal Man

Keys Guide

Postby mother ducker » Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:14 pm

Day late and a $ short but I'd go with Pat Bracher of Big Pine Key. I'v met him, fished with him. Out standing fisherman.
Capt. Andy White
mother ducker

Postby jomyke » Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:26 pm

Harry Spear.
jomyke

Postby Mooncusser » Mon May 05, 2008 7:50 pm

Maybe a bit late but he deserves the plug...

Capt. Freddie Ferriera out of Whale Harbor - Islamorada.

A class act who will get you some fish!
I'd make a mental note...but I am out of paper.
Mooncusser

Re: Anyone recommend good Keys guide?

Postby mustFish » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:58 pm

On our last vacation in Islamorada, my wife, two sons and myself went fishing with Capt. Bill Bassett, on the "Sachem", out of Bud & Mary's Marina.

We had a great time, he and his mate both worked hard, knew what they were doing, and we limited out on Yellowtail Snapper - 40 fish for the 4 of us - in a 1/2 day charter. We had the fillets packaged and FedExed home to Minnesota by the Islamorada Fish Company, which was pricey (next day air) but worth it. Bill and his mate did a great job with our boys, who were age 7 and 9 at the time.

Avoid "Captain Easy" (or "Capt Easy") - his name is too accurate - on a previous Islamorada vacation he did NOTHING and made his mate do all the work, resulting in us sitting around and waiting while rods were re-rigged, re-baited, etc. Way too much dead time. Also, this was a shark-fishing trip, and the rods were initially set up with Mono leaders, which of course all were sliced within 1 minute of setting the hook. It took AWHILE for the mate to re-rig them all with wire leaders, while we SAT. The "Capt Easy" captain sat in the upper tower of the boat nearly the entire charter. Catching 6-8 foot sharks was quite fun, we had 3 rods going at once, at one point. Just do it on another boat, if you do.

Dave
mustFish

Re: Anyone recommend good Keys guide?

Postby Questor » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:27 pm

What do you want to fish for? Offshore or inshore?
Questor

Return to Saltwater Questions