Wideglide from Surf?

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

Wideglide from Surf?

Postby curmudge1 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:06 pm

Has anyone used the Wideglide (probably the large one) from the Surf? I'm thinking big sandy beaches, like here in NJ (before hurricane Sandy :-( or Outer Banks?
And, how was it to work?

I'm less concerned about your success, but wondering how the lure worked with a longer rod (9/10/11 foot), longer casts, etc. Did you use braid or mono?

Also, interested in speculation(s) from those with Wideglide experience.

Thanks.
--
Dave in NJ
curmudge1

Re: Wideglide from Surf?

Postby Questor » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:00 am

I've only used rhe smaller subsurface models. My surf fishing is in calmer water than yours. Have been using a spinning outfit with 9 foot surf rod. This is now one of my go-to lures. Very high quality, very durable, and the fish love it. One of the nice things about this relatively large bait, compared to the spoons I have used a lot is that smaller fish like ladyfish do not seem to be interested in it, but larger than average specimens of my target species are attracted. Am fishing for blues and seatrout mostly.

Am using 20 pound Fireline uni to uni'ed to a 50# fluoro shock leader. Casts are plenty long, but the lure is more wind resistant than something like a Kastmaster spoon, so you can cast the spoon farther into a strong breeze.
Questor

Return to Saltwater Questions