New Shimano Calcutta D 401

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

New Shimano Calcutta D 401

Postby Kaleido » Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:21 am

Hello,
I am from germany.
Read with interest the infos about the new Calcutta D.
For Light Tackle fishing in the saltwater I am using the japanese Calcutta Conquest (casting) and the Daiwa Ryoga Bay Jigging (jigging). Fishing for cod, coalfish, halibut. In the past up to 50lb. From my point of vieuw: An important feature is the disengaged level wind.
At first: The smaller models of the new Calcutta should have an engaged level wind. The Calcutta however an disengaged levelwind ( like the Conquest).

My question: Is the new Calcutta strong and durable enough for saltwater applications? Better than the TE, better than the Conquest? What is about the brake? Smooth, powerfull enough (max brake should be 7kg)?

I have read, the reel was used for Tarpon fishing ( 200lb).
By the way: The new TranX has an engaged levelwind and there is no lefty model (both points are bad for me).

Thanks for info
Kaleido

Re: New Shimano Calcutta D 401

Postby dahlberg » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:10 am

The levelwind disengages for better casting performance.
max drag on D series is around 25Lbs.
New Calcutta is plenty strong. Biggest diff is the size. New 400 is smaller than older 300. Also less lateral torque when cranking due to repositioned drag star. Also dual supported pinion makes for tighter feeling, stronger main/pinion gear arrangement.
good luck, thanks for the post.
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Bantam1 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:45 am

A disengaging level wind makes sense on a wide spool. The Tranx and Calcutta 400 do not have wide spools. The angle of the line to the line guide is not enough to cause any distance casting issues. By allowing the line guide to move during a cast you wil have increased friction. Because of the taller and narrower spools on the models mentioned above, you will actually lose casting performance by having a non disengaging level wind.
Bantam1

Postby Kaleido » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:09 am

No question. The casting performance is better.
But the problem may be the drag performance. It should be smooth (also under heavy load), if a strong fish is peeling off a lot of line with high speed.
And from my point of experience ( I have tested a lot of expensive BC reels), a non disengeaging level wind system is the better choice.
Kaleido

Postby dahlberg » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:08 pm

hi K
you have a very valid point. It's especially a big issue with a wide spool or if the level wind guide is too close to the spool.

I've been using the Dseries Calcutta for a full season now and have caught a wide variety of species, including tarpon which required a heavy drag and are capable of blistering runs. I have had no issues with the reel and it gets an A+ in every category!
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to Saltwater Questions