Swimbaits

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

Swimbaits

Postby outcastangler » Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:41 pm

Hello Larry
first I would like to say I am a big fan of yours , My question is . Have you fished swim baits in Costa Rica or in your worldly travels for tarpon , I live in SW Florida and they seem to have become my go to bait for schooling Tarpon . What i do is pretty much let the bait fall to the bottom and using suffix braid with no stretch I pretty much give 2 cranks on a 5 to 1 spinning reel and let it fall , You are Living my dream and I enjoy watching every minute of it .

Your Fan Mark
Team Outcast Here is a link to my Swim Bait vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fynblp2tZNU
outcastangler

Postby dahlberg » Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:46 am

Hi M
I first tried swimbaits for poons (small paddle type minnow/shad type soft plasic bodes on a jig head) when they were first introduced a long, long time ago, with good success (other than poor hook-up ratio!).
Also have had pretty good success with sluggos fished in the same way.
With the new "official" swim bait, such as storms wild eye, I've had literally hundreds of bites, but on the jump usually the lure body goes one way, the lead another and the hook comes zinging back at warp 5.
So fard I've got a 0% hook up rate so I don't use them any more.
I've had my best success is water 15-30 feet deep.
Yes, I've used them in Costa Rica and had some success in lagoons and small rivers but limited results in the open ocean. Best success, not surprisingly, is on live/freshly dead sardines caught on a Sabiki, then fished on a circle hook! Also on jigging spoons and a big treble rigged so the spoon slides freely up the leader line once the fish is hooked.
thanks for the post.
best,
L
hteggbabout wehen.
Lots of bites, but due to lousy hookslures
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to Saltwater Questions