Tarpon and the Tranx

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

Tarpon and the Tranx

Postby rj3494 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:55 pm

Recently purchased the Tranx. Plan on fishing for Tarpon in the Gulf near Siesta Key. A couple of questions. What rod would you recommend? Will be using artificial. Bought a couple of glides. I have been using 40# power pro braid with 60# flourocarbon leader on my other rods. What would you suggest on the Tranx? I have had a difficult time with tying my braid to the flourocarbon. Have been using a double uni knot however the seagur flourocarbon is tough to tie. Have considered a swivel but people have told me that i a no no with tarpon. Thanks for you help.
rj3494

Re: Tarpon and the Tranx

Postby dahlberg » Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:01 am

the terez 8' heavy action rod matches up well with it.
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby whiteymalone » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:53 am

Tie a Bimini Twist in the PP and use the double line to tie an Albright to the Seagaur. Six wraps of doubled 40# PP works perfect for this every time. If you have trouble keeping both of the doubled PP the same lenghth, try this. Tie the BT, pinch the doubled line at the knot, slide you thumb and forefinger down the loop to crease it to a point, tie a double overhand knot at the end of the loop and cut the loop off. This is easier to work with than a pinched loop.
whiteymalone

Postby dahlberg » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:13 pm

Learn the PT knot. It's fantastic for attaching power pro to heavy mono.
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby rj3494 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:12 pm

Thanks for the info. Received my Wide Glides today. Nice! I am loading up the boat and headed for Sarasota this weekend. Will use all your advice and hopefully have a picture of a nice tarpon with a wide glide hanging out of its mouth to post.
rj3494

Return to Saltwater Questions