Blue Water Fly Fishing

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

Blue Water Fly Fishing

Postby Henslo86 » Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:26 am

Blue water fly fishing is something I have never done before. It doesn't seem like it would interest me nearly as much as flats fishing, but none the less I am giving it two days when I am in the Cabo San Lucas area, which will be around mid March. I am sure the fish fighting technique will be a little different, seeing as the species caught are completely different from their inshore bretheren. I think I will mostly be fishing for tuna, striped marlin, and dorado. Any pointers?

p.s. I am dying to catch a rooster on a fly off the beach. How difficult is it in comparison to other fish?
Henslo86

Postby dahlberg » Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:34 am

Hi H,
You're right about the difference in the "process" between flats and blue water fly fishing.
Casting is more like "flopping the chicken overboard", but the bite is super visual and fight is usually spectacular with a billfish.
The main suggestion I'd give is to be really, really careful when the fish gets to the boat prior to landing. Because a fly rod is so long it's easy to " high stick" at the end of the fight in order to get the fish the last few feet closer to land.
Hundreds get broken every year because of this. Gotta remember to keep the load as far down in the rod but as possible when applying pressure. Also a good idea to practice with a scale so you know how hard you're pulling, and at which angle you get the most efficiency.
Roosters of any size are tough on a fly in the surf unless you find them busting bait. Best way is to tease them with bait, then toss a fly.
Speed, speed speed is the critical factor. Sometimes you can't even get a baitcastering reel to move a lure quickly enough to trigger them.
Really fun to watch them follow with their fin sizzling out of the water.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Henslo86 » Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:44 pm

Thanks Larry. I have one more question. The heaviest rod I own is one of the new Scott X2s 9 wt which is fitted with a Nautilus CCF 8 that I'm going to load with 9 wt Intermediate. Do you think it is enough to handle dorado, roosters, and possibly bonito?
Henslo86

Postby dahlberg » Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:09 pm

It's on the light side, especially if you hook a really big dorado, but should do just fine.
have fun!
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby jbird » Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:54 pm

Roosters are some of the most inteligent gamefish on earth. The trick with them is to not let them see your fly for long. If they follow it for any distance, they probably wont eat. When they do eat, they've decided the instant they spot your fly and theyll just excellerate and pile it. So if they dont smack it right away, pull it away from them and then cast again. In baja theres lots of places to see free swimming roosters along beaches. They swim really fast when they cruise, so you will do a lot of sprinting to get ahead of them and prepare to cast. I have sprinted hundreds of yards down a beach making cast after cast to a big cruiser. Eventually they lose interest in the fly and you can rest. Take lots of water...running down a beach like a maniac in the hot baja sun can take alot out of you. Beach fishing for roosters and toro on the fly is my all time favorite fishing experience.
Have fun!!!
Jay

PS the 9 weight will be perfect for the latter mentioned fish. But for tuna or billfish, a 12w is the bare minimum.
jbird

Return to Saltwater Questions