Dolphin, Dorado, Mahi - Mahi

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

Dolphin, Dorado, Mahi - Mahi

Postby barracuda48 » Sun May 06, 2012 10:05 pm

Hello Larry,

Any advice on where to target large Dolphin. (20 - 40 pounds) It seems if you miss the spring run off the Outer Banks where I fish your chance at a large one is done for the year. I've heard Casa Vieja Lodge is very good due to the fact few people target them because of the great sailfishing there. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

R. White
barracuda48

Re: Dolphin, Dorado, Mahi - Mahi

Postby Brian » Sun May 06, 2012 10:47 pm

Mr. White,

I have been off-shore out of Oregon Inlet several times over the last few years, and according to the various mates, captains, and tackle shop workers I've talked to, September is about the best time to fish for Dolphin off of the Outer Banks. They did not elaborate on whether they meant sheer numbers or size of fish, though.

Also, I haven't been there, but I was looking at an outfit that does charters out of La Paz, Mexico into the Sea of Cortez. I found them on the World Travel link on the home page to Larry's site. Again, seemed very reasonable to me when compared to prices you can expect to pay here in the US. I posted a link so you can check out the site. Again, to me $625.00 for 5 days and 4 nights lodging which includes two full days fishing for species such as Dolphin, Marlin, Yellowtail Tuna, and Roosterfish seems like a gamble worth taking. And, don't let the price fool you. An uncle of mine lived in Mexico for several years. He just moved back last week to develop some land that he owns back here in the states. He and another uncle of mine got together and took a trip to Lake Aguamilpa for Bass fishing. In two days, they caught over 120 bass combined, with a few in the 9lb range, and most being over 2lbs. Several Bass have been caught much larger in the lake. Price for the trip? just over $200 American. That's two days guided fishing, tackle included, meals, lodging, drinks, and just about whatever else makes you comfortable, for just over $200!! Usually less than what you end up paying the mate alone here in the states. And, the staff was so friendly, that my uncle after just one trip gained a new friend that he keeps in contact with regularly now. One more thing, you hear alot about the cartel war going on in Mexico. Well, for the most part, it is near the border with the US that people are killed, kidnapped, and robbed. My uncle that lived there can remember only one robbery and one murder anywhere near his home in his several years of living in Chapala which is south of Guadalajara. La Paz is close to the border, though, so before going anywhere like this, I would check up on safety first. Below is the link to the fishing website.

http://adventuretravelalliance.com/fish ... co-la-paz/

Good Luck,
Brian
Let's Go Pens!
To the Cup!
Brian

Postby k9hyluvsfishing » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:08 pm

My wife and have been to Maui in October few times and there is and restaurant we like there in the Marina at Maa'aela Village Bay Marina same place where the big public Maui Ocean Center aquarium is at. Anyway we eat this place and the locals...locals all the time bring in huge Mahi-Mahi(Dolphins) in there straight back to the kitchen! These again were just locals and weren't using no big fishing guide boats man. Coast Guard station there too and yes plenty of fishing guide boats there and at Lahaina Harbor.Personally, I wouldn't swim in the waters there in early morning nor evening. Why? Everytime we've been there there has been Tiger attacks. And old Hawaiian told me he has told many young ones not to swim in the waters during that month because Tigers teach the pups how to hunt. The whales slowly start to reappear. We were there last when the surfer girl lost her arm and made movie about it. Before there was the Gal who got ate by Tiger in early morning whose husband was at work in the Sugar Cane refinery. But it in no way should impede fishing. No way!
k9hyluvsfishing

Postby dahlberg » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:46 am

I've caught my largest ones fishing near the continental shelf, around thirty miles offshore, in Panama. Lots of fish in the seventy pound range.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to Saltwater Questions