BOCAS DEL TORO, PANAMA

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

BOCAS DEL TORO, PANAMA

Postby DAVE E. » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:48 pm

Larry, I love your show and really appreciate that you make yourself available on this forum. I am planning a Tarpon fishing trip to Bocas del Toro in March and was wondering if you have ever been there. There is very limited info on the internet about fishing this area which makes it all the more attractive to me. Could it be an unspoiled Tarpon paradise? I have no guide and plan to wing it once I get there. I thank you in advance for any advice you may have for me. -Dave
DAVE E.

Postby dahlberg » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:49 am

Hi DE
glad you enjoy the show, and I'm happy to share what ever info I can with my viewers.
I have snooped around a little in that area. coming from the north out of manzanillo you round a rock point. I've caught them vertical jigging out from it. continuing toward panama but still in CR there's a couple of creeks and tarpon are frequently in front of them or in them if there is enough water.
the drop=off from shore is much less steep from here all the way to panama than it is off the more northern coast and you can frequently see tarpon in the surf along the shoreline unrelated to the creeks. Just over the border is the chunganola (sp?). where it's current meets the surf is a great spot. they also use the river itself.
you have to be very, very careful because surf can break outside of your boat if you get too close to shore.
as you pass the mouth theres a kind of bay. Just past the point that defines the north end of the bay is a channel. it will take you to a spot just above the mouth of the chunganola. it's the route to use if wind kicks up and the actual river mouth gets too hairy to navigate.
There are flats with turtle grass in the bay. tarpon have been seen there.
There is quite a bit of habitation on the islands themselves. I'd assume tarpon must at least bounce off them as they sniff around looking for something to eat.
good luck, be safe
L
as a heo.
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby shotgun tycoon » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:45 pm

Hi Dave E,

I am in the process of retiring to Bocas. Please PM or email me. I would be interested in hearing how you did.

-Mark
shotgun tycoon

Postby DAVE E. » Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:00 am

Larry, Thank you for your detailed response. I looked at the area you mentioned on Google Earth and can't wait to give it a shot.

Shotgun, I will post a report here when I return. Do you have any Bocas advise for me? Good luck with the retirement plans. -Dave
DAVE E.

Postby DAVE E. » Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:49 am

Just got back from Bocas and had a tough time with the fish. I ran up to the Changiunola River in a small boat and as you predicted Larry it was hairy. We did make into the river surfing down the swells but actually fishing that area was impossible in a boat that size. We fished our way up a bit and saw Indians washing there clothes in the river but no Tarpon. We then made a run about 20 miles south where the local boatman I was with had seen Tarpon before- again nothing. 12 hours on the water and probabley 35 miles covered only cost me $115 and it was a beautiful place! Of course two days later the sea flattened out making the river mouth fishable but I was already committed to doing stuff with the wife. Hey, I'm no Dahlberg but I still had a great time.
DAVE E.

Re: BOCAS DEL TORO, PANAMA

Postby Grandpa21 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:19 pm

Dave,

Please contact me. I have been putting in much research in this location and would love to talk to you about your experience. Thanks! ryan.anderson2121@gmail.com
Grandpa21

Return to Saltwater Questions