Fishing for Kingfish with Wide Glide

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

Postby pdt818 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:55 am

What # nylon coated wire should I be using so as to help keep the fish from slicing my lure off. I am used to using just plain wire and have never used the nylon coated stuff before. Can I use regular malin wire and still get the same performance from the bait or is the nylon coated stuff better?

Jerron
pdt818

Re: Fishing for Kingfish with Wide Glide

Postby dahlberg » Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:43 am

hi J
I'd give it a try with your normal single strand and see how it works for you. Just don't use a heavy swivel. The lure is set up to be just a little more than neutral in fresh water, which depending on the salinity of the saltwater you are in, will make it a bit more buoyant in saltwater, which means the added weight of the leader will not make as much difference as it may in fresh water.
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby pdt818 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:02 am

Thanks Larry. Will Try that first. Just wasn't sure if it would affect the action or not.

Jerron
pdt818

Postby Kabanga » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:17 pm

HOPE TO GET MY KAYAK WET WITH SALT THIS MAY FOR THE FIRST TIME.. WHAT IS FISHING WITH IRONS THANKS
Don't have
Kabanga

Postby dahlberg » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:16 am

Irons are thick bodied spoons usually used in salt water.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Lerkin Gerkin » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:47 pm

I've caught a few kings on the wide glide and can offer a few ideas. First as Larry said the single strand wire works great. Make the loop of the haywire twist a little bigger than usual, wire no more than 30-40lb., and dont use a swivel. Connect no more than 12" wire to a few feet of 40lb mono with an improved albright and the 40lb mono to the bimini with a uni knot. Game on.
Also, kings typically have great aim and will sky on a bait and take it with them into the air. It's cool, no need to set the hook. If however the fish misses it, start cranking like hell to get the wide glide up and skipping trying to get away. The first fish will defintley take another swipe at it if he can beat the second unseen fish to it first.

A Blast!
Lerkin Gerkin

Postby Capt Dave Sipler » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:31 pm

OH YEAH......I think I'll go out soon to the near shore reefs with just my wide glide MONSTER and pitch it around bait schools.

ONE king mackerel caught on a WG is about 10 King Macs caught on a dead cigar minnow, or a live Pogie!

Flying thru the air with my wide glide in it's mouth..."now dats a bit different than the ole Speckley Sea Trout that have been wackin the crap out of my smaller WG."

I have two Monster WG's...I'll add wire and see what flies.

I'll be sure to add pics. If I get a chance to make the run offshore a bit.
Capt Dave's Sport Fishing
Jacksonville-Amelia Island FL
http://www.captdaves.com
-since 1996
Capt Dave Sipler

Return to Saltwater Questions