Collapsed fishery?

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

Collapsed fishery?

Postby Questor » Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:57 pm

When we were in Key Largo last week we found that seafood restaurants were selling salmon, tilapia, and catfish on their menus. Fresh grouper was $16 per pound. Dolphin tasted like it was the Chilean kind that has been under cold storage for months. Looks like there's not enough fresh local seafood to supply the restaurants there.

Do you have any knowledge of the state of the commercial fishery that supplies restaurants with seafood in the keys?
Questor

Postby dahlberg » Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:30 am

Hi Q,
It's a well known fact our oceans are in jeapardy from commercial overharvest. The grouper population along florida is all but gone.
Many of the smaller restaurants get their fish from small local suppliers, others from the same wholesalers a restaurant in north dakota would buy from.
Actually, I'm glad to see the farmed fish on the menu. It's the first step in weening ourselves.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby ctviking » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:47 am

My father lives in the Keys and I have noticed the decline of the bottom fishing as well as the decline (fewer shots per day than years past) of the Tarpon fishing. I live in the New York area, where would you travel for good bottom fishing for grouper and snapper?
Da viking
ctviking

Postby dahlberg » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:49 am

hi ct
try the bahamas. you can almost throw a dart and hit a winner with any of the less populated areas.
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to Saltwater Questions