tips for rio parismina

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

tips for rio parismina

Postby Pat Flood » Sat Jul 14, 2007 6:10 pm

Hi Larry,

I'm going to Rio Parismina this fall. I've been there many times but only once since they started using live bait and circle hooks. I'm hoping to throw something at them while I drown my sardine and wait for some action. I have a selection of coast hawks, mirrolures, and rapalas from years past. I saw the episode where you were there fishing with your family and you described rigging a spoon so that the spoon could slide up the line when a fish is hooked. Would you have any suggestions a to which brand,size,color of spoon to use or what kind of hook to use in rigging it that way? Have you ever used or would you suggest using soft plastics, something like a 6 inch shad on a jig? Finally I have to replace my reels. Would the calcutta 400 te be a good choice? Any information would be appreciated. Thankyou, Pat
Pat Flood

RPL

Postby Bob Daly » Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:14 pm

Pat: I have a friend who has fished RPL over 30 times and is very good friends with owner Judy. He also is heading down this fall. If you need info on the lodge/fishing, please e-mail me at robert_daly@cargill.com and I will put you in contact with my friend.
Good fishing, Bob Daly 8)
Bob Daly

Postby dahlberg » Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:41 am

Hi Pat,
You can save some weight on the plane because Judy has a well stocked tackle store and the prices are reasonable!
The 400 is what I use, but most people like something a little bigger. The greatest rod in the world for this type of fishing is the Trevala jigging rods in the med power range. (the parisminaites have not yet discovered them, but they will when I bring some with me in april)
You'll have fun there. It's a great place!
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

shimano Torium ok?

Postby rrwalker » Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:16 pm

Larry, that's great to hear your reinforcement about the Trevala rods. What about the shimano Torium ior Trinidad nstead of the Calcutta 400 size for casting relatively small baits to tarpon in Costa Rica? I like the larger handle of those two models. I was planning on spooling up 50-65 lb braid. Is this a good idea and what size reel would be adequate?
rrwalker

Postby dahlberg » Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:29 am

hi rw,
You're right, the trinidad12 would be great, as long as you can get past it not having a level wind. I'd use 65# sufix.
The most effective spoons I've used there are some I made myself out of clear casting resin with a little lead added that looked like sardines and didn't sink nearly as fast as the pure metal ones.
I made 'em so the line passes thru the spoon, lure butts up against 4/0 treble and split ring.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to Saltwater Questions