Snook leader formula, light class, IGFA

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

Snook leader formula, light class, IGFA

Postby chrisfaveflyfishing » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:15 pm

Mr. Dahlberg
Im one of the largest manufacturers of hand tied leaders in the world, mostly freshwater, but I have a client wanting to pursue snook with fly rod and very light class weight leaders. He is attempting to break IGFA records. The class tippets that he wants are 2lb, 4lb, 6lb, 8lb (and heavier which I can tie no problem). My question for you is do you have any advice on these light tippets in regards to attaching a shock tip? I know that I cannot attach a 20lb shock to a 2lb class, so is there anything else to do other than dropping the shock tip down to say 6 or 8lb? Any help is appreciated and should you wish to answer this question via email, cjfave@yahoo.com

Thanks
Chris Fave
chrisfaveflyfishing

Re: Snook leader formula, light class, IGFA

Postby dahlberg » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:37 pm

tie a short bimini in the light line and double nail knot it to the shocker. sometimes I lightly heat the back side of the shocker to make a tiny, almost imperceptible bulge, then tie a nail knot over it with the light line.
On really light line I would suggest a heavier shock leader than 20#. Like 60# minimum.
In regards to emailing, it's much better to answer all questions here on the forum so the same question doesn't have to get answered over and over!
Good luck!
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Questor » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:01 pm

Here's my 2 cents:
Make up some big game leaders. Since he won't be using the nearly weightless flies so typical in, say, stream trout dry fly fishing, the big game style will work. It will straighten out using flies in trophy snook fly sizes.
1) If the rod is 9wt or lighter, use 30# test butt. If heavier than 9wt, use a 40# test butt. I prefer fluoro lately..
2) I would use a 80/20 formula of about 8 feet of 30# test butt with a loop knot tied at either end.
3) Use tippet that meets the IGFA requirements for test. Total lentht about 2feet, a short bimini at one end, and a no-slip loop knot tied with the bimini.
4) Loop-to-loop the butt with the tippet.
5) Loop-to-loop the other end of the butt with the fly line

The rules will determine what you can do at the terminal end.

One advantage is that you can easily make up a batch of tippets then change them easily as they wear.
Questor

Postby chrisfaveflyfishing » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:10 pm

Thanks for the info, guys. I havent tied a bimini in years, so it looks like I'm going to need some practice on that one. This leader sure isnt the normal trout and bass leader that I'm used to tying for fly shops.
chrisfaveflyfishing

Postby dahlberg » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:57 am

The disadvantage is that if you an excellent fly caster and develop high line speeds, the loop to loop leaders cast like crap!
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Questor » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:37 pm

Wow! Thanks! I didn't realize that. I've only used them in circumstances where the casts were relatively short and slow. I never thought of that before.

I'll have to take some outside and try them with long and fast casts to see what happens.
Questor

Return to Saltwater Questions