Towing capacity question

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

Towing capacity question

Postby Questor » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:56 am

I'm trying to find some good tips on what kind of truck or car I'll need to tow a 20 to 22 foot boat, like a Pathfinder or Carolina Skiff. I don't want to buy more truck than I need. It's only application will be flat land, but some steep boat launch ramps will be used. Do I need a V8? Will a 2-wheel-drive work OK? I assume rear-wheel-drive is required. This is mostly for Florida and highway usage. I expect to take some road trips towing the boat, so I'm looking for fuel economy and truly adequate power rather than just the biggest baddest truck I can get. Does it have to be a pickup or SUV? Or are there cars that will do the job too?

Have you ever had problems leaving a slippery boat ramp with a 2wd?
Questor

Re: Towing capacity question

Postby dahlberg » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:09 am

Hi Q
I'm no car or truck expert by any means, but I can tell you if I didn't have 4 wheel drive I'd still be at a boat landing somewhere!
Most vehicles are pretty accurate when they give the specs for towing weight, but another issue when towing a boat is the transmission, or if manual the clutch.
In my experience going on the heavy duty side in those two element is a good idea.
You might want to send a note to Bob Turgeon (he's got a blog on Thorne Bros website). In addition to being an excellent angler Bob is also a car/truck guru.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Re: Towing capacity question

Postby JRisapirate » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:56 am

4x4 is highly recomended. Skiffs weigh nothing but a slick boat ramp will eat 2 wheel up even without a boat on the back.
P.E.T.S. Member
JRisapirate

Return to Saltwater Questions