Whopper Plopper

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

Whopper Plopper

Postby emanon » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:40 pm

I was amazed when you said that the first time you used the Plopper in salt water was on the gulf show...I have been using my 2 for a coupla seasons (2?) and big Blues and Stripers are on them on some days...and nights especially...great lure....the Wide glides are awesome as well....glad to see they are now being more widely marketed...gonna try to get them in the shop I work for...Thanks Larry
emanon

Re: Whopper Plopper

Postby dahlberg » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:34 pm

hi E
great to hear! Is there any particular time when they work best? Just curious.
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby JRisapirate » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:34 pm

Unfortunately they are out of stock, whats up with that?? With the ban on River Herring I'm going to have to try all options to catch fish during the river run. I dont see why the plopper wouldnt work. I'm looking at the Blue blood or Monkey Butt being the two closest to a Blueback Herring. Might even try the loon for night bite.. emanon you just throwing it from the sod banks? or a boat? I would think you could hit the mouth of all the feeder creeks that dump into the Tuckahoe River right at the switch when they're there and mug them. I'll break down and get one this spring.

ever consider selling them unpainted, with just a few different tail options?
P.E.T.S. Member
JRisapirate

Postby Brian D » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:49 pm

Hi jr! Why is there a ban on herring?
Hunt for the big ones
Brian D

Postby JRisapirate » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:44 am

Brian the Government(or should I say Lobby Groups who run the country) feels that they have been over fished.. Other states along the East Coast - Delaware, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Virginia, Massachusetts and Rhode Island - have closed their river herring fisheries as well. The river Herring (alewife or blueback) are different than the Atlantic Herring which are much more silvery and slightly different body, and my understanding to be one of the largest biomasses in the ocean/ a lot of them. The F'ed up thing is that commercial fisherman fishing for Atlantic Herring with a federal permit may be in possesion of Bluebacks, because they have a special piece of paper?.. I agree the stock is lower than years past but to close it completely is a killer, especially whitout a definative reason why it has gotten so low. Same thing has happened to Weakfish, and the recreational anglers are the ones getting screwed. Could it be due to huge increase in the striper population, pollution by Dupont and factories along the Herring's spawning routes,*extensive comercial fishing/ Japs*, we don't know. But it was only a matter of time, the limits were becoming less and less over the last couple years.. Going to be hard to resist using the dipnet/castnet at that first full moon in April..

A quote directly from the NJ Fish and Wildlife - "New Jersey does not have an approved plan since the available information on river herring stocks is not sufficient to definitively prove the State's river herring stocks are sustainable."

So they close a fishery completely while admitting that they don't have enough researched based information to develope a plan to help the fishery recover..
P.E.T.S. Member
JRisapirate

Postby emanon » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:35 am

JR, generally speaking, I'm a dawn patroller...or evening/night fisherman, always from "the beach"....whatever that constitutes....I like to kinda fish the ploppers at varying speeds, or just stop it dead sometimes after a short pull...gotten several fish that way....BLAM...it's fun....try mouths of creeks on the bay too, just past high tide when the current starts to pull.....keep us posted on how the colors you are gonna try work....I've gotten mine on red and white, and black and red.....
emanon

Postby Brian D » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:42 pm

Thanks JR, yep that's the good ole Goberment for ya, knuckleheads!
Hunt for the big ones
Brian D

Return to Saltwater Questions