Looking for a second braid-to-fluro knot

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

Looking for a second braid-to-fluro knot

Postby Questor » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:39 am

I usually use uni-to-uni for my braid to fluoro leader knot. It's a great knot, but I sometimes want one that's quick to tie or easy to tie in the dark or with cold hands or on a bouncy boat. The uni-to-uni is a bit involved. I've tried a few old standbys like the Albright, but have had slippage problems when using braid-to-fluoro (but not with braid-to-mono)

Application is typically just tying a six to 12 foot leader to my braid.

Can you recommend another option? In this case ultimate strength is not as much a factor as convenience.

One that got my attention was the Alberto, but it's reported to have inconsistent strength. That eliminates it immediately.

Does the double or triple surgeon work pretty well?

Thanks!
Questor

Re: Looking for a second braid-to-fluro knot

Postby RhettWheeler » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:42 am

try a sebile knot
"Fear not the man who knows 10,000 kicks but has practiced them one time. Fear the man who knows one kick and has practiced it 10,000 times."
RhettWheeler

Postby ajelstein » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:02 am

I too am curious to hear LD's suggeation but in the mean time FWIW I would suggest the double surgeons. Knot strength is surprisingly good and it never slips even with a large discrepancy in diameter and knots dont get much simpler. Just be sure to both loops are of equal size, wet it, then be sure to pull all four strands at the same time slow and firm to tighten.

Regards,

Andy
ajelstein

Postby Henry Schmidt » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:48 pm

I cant keep a double or triple surgeons knot from slipping apart when using braid. Especially the new Super Slick PP. Even uni to uni knot is slipping when using 10lb. mono to 10lb. braid.
Henry Schmidt

Postby Questor » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:49 pm

The Yucatan knot is pretty good so far. I'll have to give it a good field trial. Easy to tie. Compact. Seems consistent in strength from one knot to the next.
Questor

Postby RhettWheeler » Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:58 pm

Questor wrote:
> The Yucatan knot is pretty good so far. I'll have to give it a good field
> trial. Easy to tie. Compact. Seems consistent in strength from one knot to
> the next.

Agreed. Yucatan knot is great too.
"Fear not the man who knows 10,000 kicks but has practiced them one time. Fear the man who knows one kick and has practiced it 10,000 times."
RhettWheeler

Postby JRisapirate » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:18 am

Questor wrote:
> I usually use uni-to-uni for my braid to fluoro leader knot. It's a great
> knot, but I sometimes want one that's quick to tie or easy to tie in the
> dark or with cold hands or on a bouncy boat. The uni-to-uni is a bit
> involved. I've tried a few old standbys like the Albright, but have had
> slippage problems when using braid-to-fluoro (but not with braid-to-mono)
>
> Application is typically just tying a six to 12 foot leader to my braid.
>
> Can you recommend another option? In this case ultimate strength is not as
> much a factor as convenience.
>
> One that got my attention was the Alberto, but it's reported to have
> inconsistent strength. That eliminates it immediately.
>
> Does the double or triple surgeon work pretty well?
>
> Thanks!

Why a 12' leader? Are you surf fishing?

For me personally(and im no expert!) if the diameter of the mono is small <10lb i usually tie the double uni. It really is an easy knot when you practice it, a figure 6 with the tag end behind the main, 6 wraps with the tag end pull tight and your done.. If im casting salt water i usually have 40-60lb braid to #15-25 mono and tie an Albright. This for me isn't a quick tie(as quick as a uni) because i want to make sure my wraps are tight and that it really pinches down on the mono. If you're pulling it tight and the braid slips over the bend in the mono, you need to retie. You will have this happen if the mono isn't thick enough. Now when I fish braid I usually keep the drag tight, and it takes a nice fish to really pull some line BUT that being said I always back the drag down a little when i tie line-to-line. If you are familiar with your equipment you should never loose a fish to knot failure. I would say for over 50% of my fishing I can tie the braid to a swivel and then tie off my leader <36". Sometimes especially with plastics i like the extra action you get from fishing with a small swivell.
P.E.T.S. Member
JRisapirate

Postby Montague » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:49 am

Uni Uni like you are using is good. I prefer an albright not. I use 20lb (8lb Diameter) braid to a 20 lb flouro leader with no issues. I usally go 12 wraps instead of 10. this knot goes through the guides well and is very strong.
Montague

Return to Saltwater Questions