Rigging the Wide Glide for salt

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

Rigging the Wide Glide for salt

Postby Matty » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:11 pm

I am curious about how to best rig a Wide Glide for saltwater use. It will primarily be used on Ling (Cobia) and Kingfish that come up in the chum line, but won't eat.

I really hate to use a wire leader on it if it's going to affect the action, but toothy stuff is bound to get interested in it...is that an issue? Crimped light cable seems like overkill. I hate losing lures, but I also don't wan't to nerf the action of it trying to save a few bucks.
Matty

Re: Rigging the Wide Glide for salt

Postby dahlberg » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:59 am

You can use a piece of stiff wire or stranded leader, just don't use a heavy swivel in the front. Make it about an inch or two longer than the lure.
You can do the same with heavy mono.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby curmudge1 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:55 am

Sorry if you've addressed this elsewhere, but what about attaching the Wide Glide? Is it OK to use plain snaps or clips (e.g., Tactical Angler clips)?
Better to tie direct or use some kind of loop knot?

I would guess the same rules (no swivel, etc.) would apply to Sebile's Stick Shad glider, right?

Thanks, and I'm really enjoying your shows.

--
Dave
curmudge1

Postby dahlberg » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:07 am

Hi C
A snap at the lure is OK. The stick shad is heavily keel weighted and doesn't glide side to side in the same way or nearly as far so the leader weight on it is not nearly as critical. I use the stick shad both as a deep bait and a super fast bait. I use the wide glide within a few feet of the surface and work it with a hard quick snap so it moves really fast off to the side. When snapping it to make it turn the other way I want it to make a whooshing sound and a boil on the surface before it shoots off in the other direction. It's moving really fast, and covering lots of distance but not actually coming towards me as quickly as a straight line lure reeled at a faster speed!
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to Saltwater Questions