Knots using Power Pro

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

Knots using Power Pro

Postby longcasts » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:06 pm

Larry, I am going down to the East Coast of Panama for some Inshore fishing with heavy spin rods. I have spooled my reels with 50 and 30 lb. Power Pro. What knot do you recommend for connecting the power pro to mono leaders/bite tippets? Secondly; do you ever tie lines like power pro directly to the lure, and if so what knot works best. JUST A KUDOS TO YOU, A COUPLE OF YEARS AGO YOU HELPED ME WITH THE CORRECT HOOKS FOR GIANT TARPON, THE OWNERS WORK GREAT FOR SAILS IN THE BAHA ALSO. I WENT 5 FOR 6, MY FISHING BUDDY WENT 1 FOR 11. Longcasts
longcasts

Re: Knots using Power Pro

Postby Bantam1 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:59 am

I'm sure Larry will chime in. He showed me a knot at the Musky Expo last year that he learned in Australia (I think). I do not know the name of the knot but it worked very well.

I make my own wind on leaders now and just tie a loop knot in the Power Pro (Bimini, Surgeons, ect) and use a loop to loop connection. This has been working very well for me. Just wanted to throw another option out there.
Bantam1

Postby dahlberg » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:55 pm

Hi guys
Can't beat a wind-on for most saltwater stuff. Uni to Uni is great, especially if you tie a bimini in the braid first. The know Bantam is talking about is a good one too, but impossible to explain with words!
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby RhettWheeler » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:18 pm

I prefer the uni to uni as well. Pretty simple to tie and it great for line to line connections.
"Fear not the man who knows 10,000 kicks but has practiced them one time. Fear the man who knows one kick and has practiced it 10,000 times."
RhettWheeler

Postby CodyL » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:40 pm

Bantam or Larry,

I've been using the loop to loop recently. A four or five turn surgeons in the power pro and a perfection loop in the butt end of the leader. The surgeon's loop seems strong enough and a lot faster to tie than the bimini. I've only tested this on a few small bass so far. But I'm worried that the perfection loop will fail or come untied after repeated casting through the guides. What knots do you recommend for loop to loops? Also, should I be taking the time to tie a bimini instead of the surgeon's?

Cody
CodyL

Postby Questor » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:56 pm

For inshore, I use uni to uni to join braid to the fluorocarbon or mono leader. That gives me the casting distance and hook setting power of the braid, with the flexibility in knot choices of mono. About six feet of mono is good. Replace it at least at the end of each day.

I never tie lures directly to braid.

If you are going to be making long casts with heavy baits you will need a mono or fluoro leader long enough to have a few wraps of mono around the reel spool when you cast. Otherwise the braid will snap. This is a must for surf fishing.

Favorite super line for spinning is Fireline Original. Fewer tangles. It is technically not braid, but it has the same advantages.

Also, the palomar knot is popular with braid users, but it is weak when shocked hard, like when you have a big fish thrashing hard right near boatside.

For big fish that fight hard I still prefer mono because of its shock absorbing quality.
Questor

Postby Bantam1 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:44 am

Cody,

The Bimini Knot is about the strongest knot I know for making a good loop. It also passes through the guides really well. Larry may know of some others. My experience is limited in this category because I only use the Bimini. I think it is an easy knot to tie. Usually you tie it once and you're done.
Bantam1

Postby longcasts » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:29 am

To all who replied,
Much thanks
longcasts

Return to Saltwater Questions