Giant Dog Tooth Tuna

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

Giant Dog Tooth Tuna

Postby Phil Chavez » Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:48 pm

I recently moved back to the states from Micronesia. On a Atoll called "Ulithi" there are giant Dog Tooth Tuna. I have landed many in the 80 to 100 pound size, but have had monsters up to 6 feet long get hooked and then be lost. These are amazing fish at this size. I am not sure what the world record is, but I believe that it could be broken if one could be landed.

The Atoll of Ulithi is an outer island of the island of Yap. It is the most incredible fishing experience I have ever had. I could count on 1 hand how many sportsfishermen have fish this atoll.

I was a chaperone for a few sportswriters. Dave Vedder, who has written several books on Steelehead Fishing, and Carroll Cox from the Hawaii Fishing News. If you go to a website (check Google or Yahoo search) for "Fishermen's Paradise Palau and Yap" and you will see Carroll Cox holding a 70 pound Dog Tooth. (The trevally fishing is amazing too!)

I know that Larry goes to places that most people do not venture to. I know he really tries to get the biggest fish he can. I would like to see Larry get some of these monsters that are most likely World Records.

Thanks....Phil......>))))>
Phil "Fishing with Phil" Chavez
Phil Chavez

Postby Randall Bryett » Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:21 pm

Sounds like paradise Phil. Lots of interest being shown by anglers wanting to catch Dogtooth. Microneisia, Australia's Coral sea and the Pacific have the runs on the board. Have a look at some of the fish in these galleries http://www.nomadsportfishing.com.au/NSA ... llery1.htm (Coral Sea) ugly big old heads and gnarly teeth and the fish are not that pretty either.
Gunna google Ulithi now.
Cheers
Randall

Randall Bryett

Postby Phil Chavez » Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:29 pm

[quote="Randall Bryett"] ugly big old heads and gnarly teeth and the fish are not that pretty either.
Gunna google Ulithi now.
Cheers
Randall

They are ugly fish, but what a fight to keep them out of the underhanging coral ledges. If you have caught the popular fish and are looking to get specific fish, not normally sought after, dog tooth is a good one. Randall, E-mail me at hookuppc@yahoo.com. I live in So Cal. Thanks

Phil...>))))>
Phil "Fishing with Phil" Chavez
Phil Chavez

Return to Saltwater Questions