Looking for inshore baitcaster

Questions about Saltwater Fishing

Looking for inshore baitcaster

Postby Questor » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:35 am

I've been using spinning gear for inshore fishing forever, and never really thought much about bait casters. I use bait casters mostly for freshwater bass and northern fishing, historically.

But it seems that since almost everything I cast weighs in excess of 3/8 ounce, I should be able to use a bait caster instead.

Can you recommend a good quality bait caster that's suitable for these inshore species like redfish up to, say 10 pounds? Something that will handle light lures is the best. This is a case where I'd consider the $300-ish Shimanos, but I don't know much about them.

Thanks!
Questor

Re: Looking for inshore baitcaster

Postby Bantam1 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:32 pm

There are several Shimano options available. The Chronach E series, Curado G series, Core...it all depends on how much you want to spend and how light of a reel you want.
Bantam1

Re: Looking for inshore baitcaster

Postby Questor » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:00 pm

Thanks. I'll tell you though, I know that Shimano makes some excellent products, but it's hard to tell which ones are any good. They make so many products.

One definitely needs help narrowing down the selections.

I checked some of the reviews on those reels and it helps a lot. Now I can compare a few against other brands.
Questor

Return to Saltwater Questions