Smelt On Ice

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

Smelt On Ice

Postby young_gun » Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:19 am

Hey guys, I'm going to say it, Ice fishing season is coming just around the corner. It's about time to grab the pint sized poles and the shelter and hit the lake. I spend the majority of my winter running the lakes of Michigan's Northern Lower Peninsula chasing trophy marble eyes, spearing pike, and looking for lunker lake trout. I know this is a "big fish" forum but I wanted to bring some attention to these delicious little guys. If you love to fish the ice you should really give this a try, it is alot of fun. Especially since its done with most success at night under lights. So if you have a weekend off to spend out fishing this is another good way to maximize your time spent out fishing and lessen your time spent in the cabin. You can catch a whole mess of these guys with your buddies and have a fantastic deep fried smelt dinner. They actually can be pretty hard to catch and have paper thin mouths. So go on out there and give it a shot, I'm sure you will love it. Also keep a couple of those guys alive for the morning and run them down on a tip-up and you are sure to catch some attention from the Lake Trout and maybe catch the monster you've been looking for....
$young_gun$
young_gun

Return to Freshwater Questions