change

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

change

Postby andy r » Mon May 14, 2007 6:56 pm

the lakes in my regeon have rose dramaticly due to all the rain and flooding, last week truman resivoir in missouri rose 13 ft in a very short period of time. the fishing has gone down hill since. how long will some thing like this effect the fishing?
andy r

Postby andy r » Mon May 21, 2007 7:38 am

now the lake is up almost 20ft, they Corps of engeneers has oppened up the dam and the lake is stating to recide slowly almost a foot a day and now we are expecting more rain in the forecast.
andy r

Postby dahlberg » Wed May 23, 2007 4:16 am

HI Andy,
Wow, sounds like mother nature has really shuffled the deck on you.
First think I look for in rising water is cleaner water coming in from a tributary. You might have to run many miles upstream to find it. Second is flooded terrestrial vegetation that offers living space and hopefully is a little clearer than the water around it. (OFten flooded grass etc allowes precipitates to "fall out" of the water more quickly than less sheltered water)
The other option is to look below the dams in calmer water adjacent to the heavy current flow. It might be below a wing wall or next to an emergency spillway.
Find where the baitfish end up and you'll find the predators.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby andy r » Thu May 24, 2007 6:46 am

The fishing below the spillway has been great for big hybrid stripers and I still haven't had much luc on the lake. I hope i can figure it out for the tounament today! thank you for your great program and help.
andy r

Return to Freshwater Questions