Replacement Trebles and Split Rings for 20lb+ Peacocks?

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

Replacement Trebles and Split Rings for 20lb+ Peacocks?

Postby rchamlin » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:04 am

Hi Larry and Board,

First post here, I think Larry is a super authority on tackle for big fish so I pose this fairly simple question...

I am going back to Brazil to fish for Big Peacocks, I have purchased a bunch of different lures to take with me, some have come with split rings and trebles not tough enought for the Peacocks.

Could you please tell me Exact size and model of trebles AND split rings that would be solid replacements to upgrade these lures to be Peacock-worthy?

thanks in advance!

-Brazilbound
rchamlin

Re: Replacement Trebles and Split Rings for 20lb+ Peacocks?

Postby dahlberg » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:11 pm

Hi BB
That is an excellent question indeed. I have found the owner hyperwire split rings to be the best and use a range of x to 4x strong trebles from both Owner and Gamakatsu. While smaller lures, or critically tuned deep divers are greatly affected by a small change in the weight of the hooks and hardware, the larger lure we use for peacocks, plus the fact it's usually best to impart a fast, erratic, snapping action to minnow lures and the like, going up a size or two or even three is often OK. I also suggest if choosing lures with three trebles to remove the middle treble, which will help with the total weight when increasing hook size.
On surface lures you just need to do a little experimenting, but, as I said going up several notches in the X and removing the middle hook usually works out well.
good luck,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Re: Replacement Trebles and Split Rings for 20lb+ Peacocks?

Postby rchamlin » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:28 am

Thanks for the quick reply Larry!

Now if you could just join my group to Brazil, I could pick your brain on the flight down there! I think our float plane trip has room for 2 anglers, you and a camera guy!! Join us!

We could talk guitar too...I am an avid player and beginning collector. I am starting to collect pre- 1975, made in Japan, Yamaha acoustics and G&L electrics. I think you are more of a Gibson guy.......love those too...kinda $$$! : )

Well, thanks again! Tight Lines and In tune Chords! -rc
rchamlin

Return to Freshwater Questions