Questions about levelwind Vs. non levelwind reels

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

Questions about levelwind Vs. non levelwind reels

Postby catfishpat » Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:15 pm

Hi Larry,

I am in the process of looking for a new reel for fishing Flathead Cats with. I currently use an Abu 6500 but am planning to start fishing some 50 foot holes at least part of the time and will need some extra line capacity. I use 80lb Ande mono.

I have used Abu 7000's in the past but their newer models seem kind of junky to me.

I have seen several non level winds that may work but I have never used one and am concerned that I will have trouble keeping the line even on the spool. I guess what I am looking for are some suggestions on reels to look into and any input you may have concerning levelwind vs. non levelwinds. Thanks!

-Patrick
catfishpat

Postby dahlberg » Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:00 pm

Either the Trinidad or the Torsa will do a great job on cats.
It takes a little getting used to, but the non-levelwind design has several advantages when running heavy lines and tight drags.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Re: Non levelwind

Postby catfishpat » Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:27 pm

Thanks Larry. While I may be the only person in MN fishing cats with a Trinidad, I will most likely go with it as I do plan on broadening my fishing horizons to Saltwater fish and to South American Cats in the near future. It is my dream to catch a big Piraiba some day. Thanks for your input!

-Patrick
catfishpat

Return to Freshwater Questions