la zona: worth going to?

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

la zona: worth going to?

Postby andresbotero » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:34 pm

Hey L, I have been using the search feature on this forum to see what users have said about fishing in la zona for dorado. There seems to be agreement by all who have given an opinion on the subject that there is little to non challenge in fishing in la zona. I wander if it gets boring out there after a day or two of fishing with no difficulty and at the same place.
I was invited to fish at la zona (paying of course) and I'm flirting with the idea of going but the opinions in the forum don't seem to help my decision.
I like fishing that is demanding and challenging (like tarpon) but would not want to miss a great experience (if in fact this is). Do you recemend I go or should I spend the money and time somewere else like suriname or make several trips here in colombia with the same money.

Best
andres botero
medellin
andresbotero

Re: la zona: worth going to?

Postby dahlberg » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:56 pm

Hi a
Your question is a good one. You are right about boring. However, the dorado is an amazing creature. La Zona is a place like no other in terms of size and numbers and high probability of success. It's something you should do once just to experience this creature at the top end of it's size range.
two or three days is plenty and well worth it IMO. As far as challenging, depending on the conditions and where you encounter the fish, keeping a REALLY big one on the hook without breaking or cutting off on the rocks can be a challenge, and in fact unless just plain lucky, maybe not possible without the right equipment and proper use of it as well!
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Bill Crain » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:23 pm

It is one of those places that there may not be any other for the fresh water Dorado. With the schedule as set up you will not get bored. There are big fish and smaller fish, but all fight like hell.It is a nice four day fishing trip.
Bill Crain

Postby andresbotero » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:35 am

thanks Larry and Bill, seems like a nice trip after all. I´ll get my Teramar, curado 300 and 65 power pro ready just in case I decide to go.
andresbotero

Postby Bob Daly » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:34 pm

Andres: Would definately go at a chance for a monster golden dorado. Best place on this planet for size and numbers. With the recent addition of 2 boats from Uruguay I would go now because who knows what the future holds for this fabulous fishery. Been there numerous times so am a little biased! Let me know if I can help out on tackle prep plus I know the guides very well and can get recent updates on water levels, etc.. 8)
Good fishing, Bob Daly, doradokiller
Bob Daly

Return to Freshwater Questions