live bait conservation

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

live bait conservation

Postby andresbotero » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:05 pm

Hey Larry, I´m already planning my february trip to caño bocon in puerto inirida Colombia to fish for peacock bass and payara. Last march I succesfuly used your balloon technique (that alejandro linares showed me) with the live bait, but I had no means of keeping my live bait alive (had to fish it and use it). I´m planning on getting a live well of some sort, an aerator perhaps, even some of those pills or additives they make to increase my chances of keeping some 10 to 15 minnows alive for the day (I would fish them early moring).
I have no Idea what to get and would really apreciate any feedback you could give me (if you are allowed by sponsors please name a few brands). I´m going to the states in november and plan to buy everything there.
Please help,

Andrés Botero
medellin, Colombia
andresbotero

Re: live bait conservation

Postby Bob Daly » Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:41 am

Years ago while fishing peacocks in the Amazon one of the clients used a large styrofoam cooler to use as a livewell. You can also buy battery powered pumps from say Frabill to keep the water circulating. Instead of baloons we use to tie our line to our used water bottles with the aid of a rubber band. ONce the peacock strikes, the rubber band is broken and the water bottle floats away. 8) Good luck
doradokiller
Bob Daly

Postby dahlberg » Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:51 am

HI a
Keep your bait as cool as you can and change the water every time you get a chance. Some of the aquarium chemicals like novaqua, chlorquell, etc. are also very helpful in keeping your bait healthy. Main things are to avoid temp fluctuations, low oxygen, and perhaps most important making sure the water is getting exchanged often enough to remove the ammonia and other harmful chemicals the fish themselves give off as a result of their natural metabolism.
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby andresbotero » Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:12 pm

thanks Larry, bob...I didn't know about the ammonia and that alone I think will give an edge...
thanks again,
andresbotero

Return to Freshwater Questions