Lake Vermillion, MN

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

Lake Vermillion, MN

Postby RhettWheeler » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:51 am

Hey Larry,
Do you have any advice on catching some decent sized pike or musky on lake vermillion? I'll be there September 7th-15th on my annual fishing trip. I'm planning on bring along some wide glides, sebile magic swimmers, and several other lures. What's a good pattern for these larger predatory fish in late summer early fall?
-Rhett
"Fear not the man who knows 10,000 kicks but has practiced them one time. Fear the man who knows one kick and has practiced it 10,000 times."
RhettWheeler

Re: Lake Vermillion, MN

Postby dahlberg » Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:52 am

Hi R
Be sure to bring a Whopper Plopper. It's been red hot on the big V. Also be careful in the many narrows on the lake. Many people on Vermillion drive WAY too fast through the narrow channels risking the life and limb of those who might be in their way and blatantly breaking all boating safety laws both in terms of speed,distance from shore, and proximity to other boats!
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby RhettWheeler » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:29 pm

Fantastic. Yes, I've fished vermillion for several years now and know exactly what you mean in the narrows! It's obnoxious and dangerous especially for those fishing in smaller boats. I picked up a whopper plopper in the Rockstar pattern last week, Thanks a lot, Larry! I now own all of your creations and love fishing with them

-Rhett
"Fear not the man who knows 10,000 kicks but has practiced them one time. Fear the man who knows one kick and has practiced it 10,000 times."
RhettWheeler

Postby RhettWheeler » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:34 pm

p.s.
Can't wait for the smaller plopper to come out in October. Wish i could get my hands on one early so I can write a review for my up and coming site and make a youtube video on it. I'm pumped about the smaller diver frog as well!
RhettWheeler

Postby aka anglinarcher » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:12 pm

RhettWheeler wrote:
> p.s.
> Can't wait for the smaller plopper to come out in October. Wish i could get
> my hands on one early so I can write a review for my up and coming site and
> make a youtube video on it. I'm pumped about the smaller diver frog as
> well!

Yes, and yes! October seems so far away. :lol:
I think my bucket list has a hole in the bottom!
aka anglinarcher

Postby RhettWheeler » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:17 am

> Yes, and yes! October seems so far away. :lol:

Amen to that my forum friend! :mrgreen:
RhettWheeler

Postby Questor » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:05 pm

Just my 2 cents: My brother in law is one of the really excellent fishermen who can catch fish just about anywhere, including swimming pools, teacups, and mud puddles. He just has a knack for it. Being a fisheries biologist probably doesn't hurt him either. Anyway, he likes Vermillion for family vacations but has had hit and miss fishing on that lake. Have you considered hiring a guide for the first day or two that you're there?
Questor

Postby RhettWheeler » Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:47 pm

I've been fishing this lake for about 5 years straight now. I'm not a very picky fisherman so I will find what's biting whether it be large or smallmouth, walleyes, perch, crappie, huge gills, or pike. Generally I spend the mornings fishing walleye (may trade up a few mornings to go casting for some musky), afternoons and late mornings for bass and pike, evenings def. for walleye. I've considered hiring a guide just for some musky I've never really targeted them on there so I'm giving it the old college try this year. Might not be a bad idea to hire one for a couple outtings. Can you or Larry recommend a good Vermillion guide?
RhettWheeler

Postby RhettWheeler » Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:53 pm

as far as walleyes go, I've never had a problem catching them on the lake. Always pick up AT LEAST a few every time we go out. If i'm not catching them on the lake, I hit the vermillion river and find them on there. The hardest thing about walleye fishing on vermillion is trying to find anything an eater size. The slot limit I believe is 3 walleye, 16-26" immediate release, keep 1 over 26". Since they've put a slot limit on the lake years back the average size fish is generally in the 20-26 inch range, average size 22 or so. There's A LOT of healthy eyes on that lake. I tend to have better luck for the eyes on there using finesse techniques i.e. lindy rigs, jigging, etc... may give some trolling a shot this year with some cranks just to see what happens.
RhettWheeler

Return to Freshwater Questions