Boat shopping question

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

Boat shopping question

Postby Questor » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:09 am

I need a boat that's a bit longer than a typical bay boat. About 22ft, I think. Applicaion is fishing saltwater bays of the gulf, and some near-shore gulf fishing. I'm trying to find good sources of information on what's available and what a buyer should look for. I also need to know what kinds of trailers make most sense for salt, and how much of a truck I'll need to do towing. I'd like to learn as much about this on my own before starting to shop. Any good sources of info you can give me will be much appreciated. My current boat is a 14" aluminum, so this will be quite a step up in size.
Questor

Re: Boat shopping question

Postby dahlberg » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:46 am

HI Q
That's a very open ended question! Size, shape, make of boat depend on both where you will use it and perhaps more importantly your budget.
There's little sense discussing a vehicle until you've got a few more details down on the boat! I would suggest discussing your needs with a couple of good reputable dealers, then do your due diligence and pull the trigger!
I just got a new "musky edition" 24' Pathfinder bay boat and put some hours on it the past couple of days. Astonishing boat. Also very reasonably priced.
I was on Mille Lac, the wind was in the mid twenty mph range one day and I still could run from one end of the lake to the other. (Significant because Mille Lacs is round and about twenty miles accross!)
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Questor » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:44 am

Thanks Larry! Answers like yours are very helpful because they give me insight into things you consider important, and which I may not have thought of. Interesting that you mention Pathfinder. The Pathfinders about that size, Panga 22 and Carolina Skiff DLV 21 constitute my short list. That's a very wise selection for fishing Minnesota. Perfect for lakes like Mille Lacs, Winnie, and the like.
Questor

Postby Lerkin Gerkin » Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:00 pm

You really need to run all three and I think the choice will be easy. The Pathfinder will give you a much better ride than the carolina skiff and wont get blown around and draw less water than the Panga. Beyond that, the build quality, finish, deck layout, plumbing, wiring, and fishability all go to the Pathfinder. Happy Shopping!
Lerkin Gerkin

Return to Freshwater Questions