Trophy pike in the Boundary Waters

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

Trophy pike in the Boundary Waters

Postby FishinB » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:53 am

Hi Larry,

Huge fan! I've learned more from watching you fish than all of the others combined.

We do a yearly trip to the Boundary Waters in late August. For the most part we concentrate on big pike. Over the years we've caught quite of number of fish up to 39" fishing mostly weed edges with big spinners but we have yet to break that magical 40" mark. I know they are in the lakes we fish (one of them being Basswood where the MN state record came out of) but we can't seem to find them. I've done some research into fishing deep humps with crank baits but haven't tried that yet. Do you have any advice or different approaches to finding the big ones on these large northern Minnesota lakes?

B
FishinB

Re: Trophy pike in the Boundary Waters

Postby dahlberg » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:42 am

Find the schools of "eater" walleyes and toss musky sized jerk baits in bright colors. I've connected with a fair number of 4 foot plus pike in that region while fishing for dinner. When on a school of walleyes which are biting on every cast then shut off suddenly you want to quickly pick up a big lure and start winging it where the walleyes had been.
Deep rock humps (15-20') not far off main or secondary points and saddles between islands or shallow rock piles can be killer.
It's often a time saver to look for large forage in shallow water and fish the areas adjacent.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Re: Trophy pike in the Boundary Waters

Postby FishinB » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:54 am

Thanks Larry!
FishinB

Return to Freshwater Questions