Tough Start

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

Tough Start

Postby box » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:16 am

Hi Larry -
I've experienced one of the toughest starts to a musky season in many years. I can blame weather or water temps, but the fish are still there, I just haven't cracked the code yet. I know you have more experience than many of us on this board combined. That said, I'm guessing it isn't magic for you and there are tough days for you. When things aren't clicking, do you try to think it through or do you just strap on a confidence bait and cast like hell? I've gotten into a bad habit of bait changing this year. I'm contemplating going out the next few trips with only one or two baits to keep me fishing and not thinking. I've also thought about trying to troll my way out of the slump. Any insight you could offer would be helpful.
Also,if you happen to toss that goofy bait with the coins on it please let me know what you think.
Thanks - erik
box

Re: Tough Start

Postby dahlberg » Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:16 am

PFA positive fishing attitude.
Never be afraid to switch around lures, speeds, cadence or where you choose to fish. If someone didn't do that initially, we'd all be fishing with the same single lure.
Every spot has a start and an end, and a front and a back. Be sure you are defining your spots and fishing the total. Then fish the outside of where you thought the edges of the spot was.
Get up earlier. Stay out later.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Re: Tough Start

Postby CFINE » Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:28 pm

Erik,

The start to my season was quite slow as well here in Indiana. My brother, in Michigan, on the other hand has really started to heat up after a slow start (my wife is pregnant and due any day so my fishing the past few weeks has been limited). Anyhow - he and 3 friends caught 32 muskies last weekend. Up until then - the best they had done was 1 or 2 per day.

I have a friend who guides and he had a terrible Spring (he does not really fish too much in the summer). He did not know if it was the pro-longed cold weather, the flooding or what - but this year was his worst in 8 years of guiding.

I think things are starting to heat up... better get out there ; - )

Chris
CFINE

Return to Freshwater Questions