Orinoco River

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

Orinoco River

Postby Brilliantrocket » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:39 pm

Hey Larry, I plan to go to Venezuela around September and may be able to spend some time on the Orinoco river. I've searched for information about the Orinoco ,but all the sites I found focused on Payara. I was wondering what other species of fish inhabit the Orinoco? I am particularly interested in large catfish and pirarucu. I've found some very brief information mentioning these fish in the Orinoco ,but nothing really reliable. What are the main fish I can expect in the Orinoco river? I'd like to focus on the most massive fish.
Brilliantrocket

Re: Orinoco River

Postby dahlberg » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:48 pm

The orinoco is a big, big, big, big river. It's mouth is 250 miles wide! In other words, your question covers lots of territory.
There are big cats for sure, but I don't know about piraracu. The the areas I fished in the upper river were pretty fast, but I would imagine that if you can find sections with very little vertical drop and that have lagoons for them to spawn in, you could run into them.
Guyana has them, but as of now I believe they are protected.
good luck, safe travels!
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Re: Orinoco River

Postby Brilliantrocket » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:35 pm

Thanks for the info Larry. I'm not sure exactly where on the river I'm going to be so I'll just have to be prepared for anything.
Brilliantrocket

Return to Freshwater Questions