NILE PERCH

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

NILE PERCH

Postby fish2light » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:15 pm

Hi larry,

I would like to know if you fished Aswan Egypt for Nile perch? if so what lures, line, rod, reel? ...ect. if theirs a youtube link that would be nice too. I plane on going down 2012.

thanks
fish2light

Re: NILE PERCH

Postby dahlberg » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:25 pm

Yes, I've fished there twice. The fish have significant seasonal movements so what you need will depend on what season you go.
The first time I was there it was one of the coolest fishing trips I've ever had. The second time there were so many commercial nets in the water it was nearly impossible to fish.
I had good success with "musky" type rods, Calcutta 400 reels and deep running trolling lures. Even used wire line to catch some in very deep water.

best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby fish2light » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:59 pm

thank you Larry
fish2light

Postby dahlberg » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:09 am

bring large minnow lures you can troll at various speeds, usually fast, from depths of 6' to as deep as you can get with 12-20' being the primary zone in most of the season.
In Feb it could be 60 degree water temps. Fish on outside bends of old river channel in 60'. That's where I used wire and a big ball of lead ahead of big minnow lures. Often suspend. Bring your own best you have electronics. you can see them very easily much of the time. Jigging spoons, large jigs w flashabou and or soft plastic shad also very good at times.
I'd use 65 or 80 power pro on calcutta 400te reels mounted on 7 1/2-8 foot heavy musky rods. Might also bring a 9 foot surf rod and 10000 stella.
Incidentally, using "modern" methods in regards to classification of the water and seasonal movements plus really good electronics on the Nile,on Lake Victoria and on Lake Tanganyika I was able to catch more perch in one day than the best locals did in a month!
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby steelneal » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:44 am

Dear Larry,
i just wanted to "like " your response like they do on Facebook
steelneal

Return to Freshwater Questions