Bolivia

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

Bolivia

Postby Dom250fish » Sat May 28, 2011 9:34 pm

Hey Larry,

My dad and I go on a trip every year. Trying for a multi species freshwater trip and we came across this Cano Negro lodge in Northeastern Bolivia.
Claiming we can catch Payara in rivers and peacocks in the lagoons with multiple other species.

Can you or anyone give me any intel on bolivia, this lodge? They are saying season is May - October. What would be the rainy v. dry season down there?
Dom250fish

Re: Bolivia

Postby dahlberg » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:19 am

Hi dom
Bolivia is the only country in SA I've not fished. I do know that the peacocks in the upper regions of the amazon are generally pretty small and it's not too easy to get in to certain areas of Bolivia. If I were to go there it would be for golden dorado.
I'd suggest you check into colombia. Big peacocks in the same rivers as very large payara plus a bewildering assortment of other species as well, without the insanely high prices they now charge Americans in Brazil, plus it's closer and has better flight options.
I suggest you contact my fishing buddy in Colombia, Alejandro Linares who has experience both in Bolivia, and can set you up in Colombia if you wish.
His email is:
pescaenlaselva@hotmail.com
Another option you might try is Suriname, which is one of my favorite places, but you won't find payara there or the really giant peacocks. You can catch record size butterfly peacocks in the low teens, giant wolfish (more fun than pcocks or payara) plus lots of other species also. Best part is the virgin jungle and totally beautiful rivers.

best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to Freshwater Questions