Comment on circle hooks for bluegills

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

Comment on circle hooks for bluegills

Postby Questor » Tue May 10, 2011 8:07 am

I really like circle hooks and use them for most bait fishing situations today because they work well and the fish don't get deep hooked except in very rare circumstances.

However, I've tried circle hooks for bluegills and the number of deep hooked fish actually has increased markedly versus light aberdeen hooks and flies tied with J hooks. That was unexpected, but I've done it enough to convince myself that I won't be using circle hooks for bluegills again. Bobber fishing with circle hooks has yielded almost 100% deep hooked bluegills in my experience.
Questor

Re: Comment on circle hooks for bluegills

Postby dahlberg » Fri May 13, 2011 5:03 am

I had good success with really small baits on the eagle claw circle hooks made for trout flies. I'd use a huge bobber and the fish would hook them selves in the corner of the mouth almost every time due to the resistance of the bobber!
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Questor » Fri May 13, 2011 12:04 pm

Now that is interesting! Thanks! I'll have to look into that.

I was using a relatively small slip bobber and whole or half red wiggler worms, and strands of Gulp! earthworm-like bait. I the hooks I used were Owner #6 and #8, I believe.
Questor

Postby dahlberg » Fri May 13, 2011 12:31 pm

The off-set in the owner is the problem. The eagle claw fly hook looks just like the giant non-offset big game circle hooks only it's available in tiny sizes.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Shawn Kellett » Sun May 15, 2011 1:35 pm

I use circle hooks with my kids for bluegills all the time and we may only have 1 fish in 1000 hooked deep. The trick with the Owners (the ones I use) is to bend the hook so the shank is in line with the hook point. If you do that you won't have any problems. Also try pinching the barb down as well as you don't really need it with circles from my experience.
Shawn Kellett

Postby Questor » Mon May 16, 2011 7:11 am

I'm really glad I mentioned this. I have learned a lot and will try these new techniques. As always, a great source of insight.
Questor

Return to Freshwater Questions