Knots for muskies

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

Knots for muskies

Postby godzilla » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:50 pm

Larry, Picked up some 80 lb Power Pro braid to use for musky this year, in your opinion what would be the best and strongest knot to use for attatching braid to your leader? Thanks, Godzilla.
godzilla

Re: Knots for muskies

Postby steelneal » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:07 am

Hey Godzilla,
you can search your question topic on this forum and probably get some real good answers about knots as i am sure that Larry the King and many others have discussed this topic many times. Just thought i'd let you know as it might take Larry the King a bit to respond personally. Good Luck!
All Hail!
Steel
steelneal

Postby hooks40 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:01 am

Most studies show that knots with a double base hold the most strength. For example, the palomar knot works well with braid. I use an improved cinch knot, but go through the eye of the hook once, I loop around a second time and tie on top of that. Some folks double their line and tie an improved cinch, but that has too many tag ends for my taste. There are many fishing know resources on the web that will demonstrate how to tie these.
hooks40

Postby godzilla » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:35 pm

Thanks hooks, I have used the polamar knot many times on lighter braid and it is an easy knot to tie, but i was not real sure how it performed on heavier line. thanks for the advice! zilla
godzilla

Postby Questor » Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:54 am

I have some experience casting heavy baits with braid. Here's what I'd recommend if the rod guides will smoothly accommodate it:
1) Bimini twist in the braid
2) Double uni the braid to a mono leader of at least 30# test. The leader should be longer than the rod so that you can get the shock absorption of the mono. (I have snapped off heavy lures by not using the long mono shock absorber). An improved Albright may be a better choice if you're using a heavier mono leader.
3) Beyond that, I can't help you much with terminal tackle for muskies.
Questor

Return to Freshwater Questions