Monster Crappie?

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

Monster Crappie?

Postby steelneal » Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:49 am

Dear Larry the King,
got a few fish yesterday and got to talking with my 70 something fishing buds about big crappie etc...How big would you say your biggest crappie was? Black or White?
Thanks Bro!
All Hail Larry the King!
Sincerely,
Steel Neal The Fish Whisperer
steelneal

Re: Monster Crappie?

Postby dahlberg » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:49 am

I've only fished crappies up here in Minnesota and never even dunked a minnow for them anywhere else.
In our larger lakes that haven't been over harvested I've caught a few in the mid two pound range, weighed on a postage scale, and many in the 2# and a few ounces category.
The biggest I've seen was caught by a friend who was trolling hellbenders with me. It was a 17 1/2"er but we didn't weigh it. A couple of winters ago we were out with my friend Joey Dusenka from Frankies Bait in Chisago City and he caught one that was a little over 3 lbs through the ice on one of the metro lakes.
It was a freak.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Questor » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:02 am

Just a bit of extra info, most crappie fishermen here in Minnesota seem to focus on lakes, but the biggest ones I've caught have been in rivers. While most people are after walleye and northerns and white bass etc, the crappies seem to be fat, happy, and underfished. I don't catch them where the other fishermen are. My biggest was a loner caught in the Snake river from a grassy undercut bank near fast water that looked like a brown trout lair. I don't know the weight, but it was a real wall hanger. I released it.

(The same has been true for me with sunfish.)
Questor

Postby steelneal » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:38 am

Dear Larry The King,
Awesome. I love the fact that due to this forum i get to chat with my fishing hero!
Thanks again,
Steel
steelneal

Postby DRingl » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:48 pm

My brother and I were just reminiscing about our days as kids and fishing for Crappie in the spring and how I have a picture of me with one 16 3/4"... Yeah we filleted and ate it I still can't believe I did that.
DRingl

Return to Freshwater Questions