River Muskies... direction of approach?

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

River Muskies... direction of approach?

Postby TJones » Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:45 pm

Hi Larry... I was wondering if you have a preference in the direction which you would approach river muskies... i.e., If you have the choice, would you prefer to approach a likely stretch of water from a downstream position, and work your way upstream (via trolling motor or from the bank) or would you prefer to start upstream and work your way down? Does this even matter? Thanks!
TJones

Re: River Muskies... direction of approach?

Postby Collin » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:35 am

Hey T
I'm not Larry but I do alot of river fishing for muskies. I find that is best to work your way upstream whether you are in a boat or on the banks. Depending on how fast the current is, I usually cast at a slightly upstream angle, so that by the time the lure gets back to you it is running perpendicular to the current. This makes it easier on your body and in my opinion gives the lure better action. However fishing rivers doesn't always let you do this. Especially when you are fishing from the banks. Sometimes you have to cast straight upstream or downstream to hit pockets in the river banks. Fish look upstream for easy prey that is floating by. Hope this helps.
Collin
Collin

Return to Freshwater Questions