First musky of 2011 on my own version of Mr Whiggley

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

First musky of 2011 on my own version of Mr Whiggley

Postby ajelstein » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:00 pm

Hi Larry,

I want to thank you for sharing Mr Whiggley, the lure making DVD, makelure.com and most of all your direct feedback and suggestions in this forum. It took 4 prototypes but I finally have this bait to a point where the action approaches yours...I think the simple appearance of this lure masks the brilliance of the design. it is so seductive when worked properly in the water. I just can't get over the way it stores energy when you give it a jerk, then attempts to swim away from you (particularly when its suspended broadside...perpendicular to direction of retrieve). My first opportunity to fish this new lure was yesterday in a major trib of the Delaware river and I cought my first musky of the season on a 7" pearl Mr Whiggley rigged with a single large treble and center pin spring. Water temp was 40 degrees and slightly turbid so I wasn't very optimistic (I didn't care...I needed to go fishing) but Mr Whiggley saved the day. So thanks again, I can't wait to further refine and fish this lure.

I also have a question about why you have not brought this to market, but I'll save that for another thread.

Regards,

Andy
ajelstein

Re: First musky of 2011 on my own version of Mr Whiggley

Postby dahlberg » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:58 pm

hi A
glad I could be of help! You stuck with it and made it work, which in my book means you really deserved that musky!
I'm afraid to think how many more you will catch this season! You will soon see what I'm talking about!
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to Freshwater Questions