Diving frog issues

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

Diving frog issues

Postby lunchbox » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:33 am

Hey Larry, I absolutely love the concept of the diving frog, but i am having a problem with it. For some reason when I try to stroke the frog down it starts to twirl. I have checked the alignment on the legs, the placement of the knot, and even tried a loop knot. None of these things seem to work. Short pops do not cause a problem, but anything beyond that and it twirls around like a cork screw.
I am open to any ideas you, or other forum members might have to solve this problem.

Thank you
Brandon
Teaching fish the meaning of TANSTAAFL one day at a time.
lunchbox

Re: Diving frog issues

Postby dahlberg » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:30 pm

Hi L
something is totally wrong. My guess is that the diving collar must've gotten bent out of shape on one side. I'd have to see it myself to know for sure. When working properly, you should be able to crank it at a medium fast speed and it should slide under and continue to track straight with it legs stretched out behind it.
If you have a gram scale, do me a favor and weigh it with the legs on, and let me know what the weight is.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Re: Diving frog issues

Postby dahlberg » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:21 pm

Hi Lunch,
Here's what the guys at river2sea had to say. It's exactly what I suspected. Try the remedy!
best,
L

03/04/2011
Larry,
Yes I have addressed this before. Please let the anglers know that the “diving” collar ….as it is soft must not be crushed….or out of shape. If it has been bent over hard….and has taken a set….it will need to be placed in the sun….and the collar straightened by hand….(not a big job) Please remind them of the problems inherent to TPR and the proper storage of the frog. In fishing here last week at 2 different lakes with prostaff I had the same problem…..and found it was all about the collar being out of shape or slightly twisted from storage in the tackle box. ALL frogs are tested at the factory.

Regards,
John Linckens

River2Sea USA
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to Freshwater Questions