What was that popper attachment use to catch bowfin

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

What was that popper attachment use to catch bowfin

Postby Gaines » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:52 pm

I was watching this show for the first time and found it really interesting. I love catching bowfin and gars near my house in southern Illinois. Does anyone know what and where i can find one of those popper attachments they were using on the show. Or any other suggestions on how to catch gar and bowfin and possibly big drum in a creek scenario. I'm really glad I found this site, great show.

I also could use some suggestions on how to hook the darn things, They are always biting but its hard to set the hooks. Also anyway I can make my own steel litters? So many questions lol. Thanks in advance
Gaines

Re: What was that popper attachment use to catch bowfin

Postby Henry Schmidt » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:56 pm

I believe the popping cork was what you saw. Its used in inshore saltwater bait fishing. You jerk the rod tip to make the cupped top work like a popping lure. You might have to look somewhere that sells saltwater tackle.
Ive caught all my bowfin using plastic worms and catfish dough bait on the bottom. I never thought of them reacting to topwater action. Great fighter Ive always enjoyed catching them. There a website that specializes in gar and bowfin fishing but i cant remember the name. Try goggling for it, it has tons of good info on enjoying "trash" fish.
Henry Schmidt

Re: What was that popper attachment use to catch bowfin

Postby dahlberg » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:29 am

It was just a popping cork with a piece of fish on a big old j hook!
sometimes they hit the cork, sometimes they bite the meat!
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to Freshwater Questions