Okuma Spinning reels

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

Okuma Spinning reels

Postby Brian » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:03 pm

Hello All,

I am in the market for a stout spinning reel with a bait feeder that is able to handle large catfish. I don't want one with a line counter, or an expensive one. I saw that Okuma makes a nice spinning reel series with a bait feeder system with adjustable resistance. It gets good reviews, and it's not too expensive. I was just wondering if any of you have tried these reels or know of any that may be worth looking into. I believe they are the ABF series. I think my catch ratio will go up dramatically if I incorporate a bait feeder system into my setup so the fish don't feel the resistance of the rod on quick strikes, and it will also give them time to get live bait into their mouth for hook set. Thanks for any information.

Take care,

Brian
Let's Go Pens!
To the Cup!
Brian

Re: Okuma Spinning reels

Postby dahlberg » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:32 am

Hi B
A bait runner is super for what you're doing. Check out the shimano bait runner. It's the number one choice for tarpon too.
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby robo-ripper » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:32 pm

like the Man says,Shimano ''baitrunner''..I've used them since they first came out.Feed anchovies and sardines to those BIG Calico bass.. 8) i use the 4500 #
robo-ripper

Postby Brian » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:05 am

Thanks Guys. I checked them out. Not too bad at $150-$200. I always trust your recommendations Larry. Anything you would use, I gather would be well enough for me.

Thanks again,

Brian
Let's Go Pens!
To the Cup!
Brian

Return to Freshwater Questions