Lure Action and Carolina Musky(?)

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

Lure Action and Carolina Musky(?)

Postby epdevane » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:03 am

I recently moved from up North to the Carolina's. Do you know of any waters that have musky fishing near Charlotte? If not Musky, any Striper fishing recommendations?

Also, I really enjoyed the two shows with Patrick Sebile (Musky and Stripers). I think the biggest learning lesson for me from those shows is the amount of action you two manually put on the lures. To be honest, I have a a pit in my stomach wondering how many musky I missed over the years by being lazy and bringing lures back in 'straight'. I plan to use the wide glide, stick shad and whopper plopper up on Vermillion when I'm head back up North as well as my trip up to Lac Seul with friends. Any insight or recommendations you have for adding action to lures would be great.

Thanks for your time,
Ed
epdevane

Re: Lure Action and Carolina Musky(?)

Postby dahlberg » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:20 am

Hi EP
The best advice I can give is to experiment with speed and cadence. It does not mean always fast. It means from super slow, or even long pauses to hyper burn.
The key is non mechanical action and making the lure seem as though it is reacting to the presence of the fish. The trick is being able to "read" the fish when it begins to follow and interpret the subtle signals it gives as it reacts to how you move the lure.
I think you will be pleasantly surprised at how the Vermillion fish react to those lures.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to Freshwater Questions