Trout Mold

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

Trout Mold

Postby hooks40 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:41 pm

Larry,

I have a model for a 9" trout bait and a mold box. The style is similar to Wiggly in that it has an elongated tail, but there are dorsal and pectoral fins.

I would like to use the HS2 that I have left. I have left 2 openings for pouring, one in the body and one near the tail. This will be my first soft bait and I only have enough material left for 1 mold, so I want to make sure I get it right.

Would you recommend a 1 or 2 piece mold for this?

Thanks,

Steve
hooks40

Re: Trout Mold

Postby hooks40 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:57 pm

Does anybody have any experience with this?
hooks40

Postby dahlberg » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:23 am

Hi H
I think I'd go with a one piece mold. Main reason would be to make it easier to get dorsal cavity filled. When you squeeze the mold shut the excess should fill the dorsal. You might want to mold in a couple of horizontal pins to keep the top in perfect alignment and help keep it pinched shut.
good luck!
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby hooks40 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:20 pm

OK, I built the 1 piece mold and all the fins fill nicely. I left 2 dime sized holes at the top to pour the Alumisol in. ! near the tail and one in mid body.

When I pour the Alumisol in the body hole, I overpour so it fills up the hole. The problem I am having is that by the time the stuff hardens, it has shrunk somewhat and there is a cavity in the bait by the body hole.

Any ideas on what may cause this?

Thanks,

Steve
hooks40

Postby dahlberg » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:35 am

It's a big bait and you get shrinkage. After pouring, keep and eye on it, and continue to pour a little more hot plastic every minute or so for the first minutes. check again after 4 or five minutes and add more if needed.
I have the same issue with all the large soft plastics I pour as well.
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby hooks40 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:44 pm

OK, that worked well. I tried the bait out and it had a unique action, but not quite what I expected.

The body is somewhat tall like a real trout and the tail is somewhat elongated. The action on a straight retrieve makes the body waggle back and forth, but prevents a very fast retrieve. This may be good in some situations, the fish will tell us.

However, am thinking that If I make the body not as tall, I may have a more streamlined action with more tail wagging.

I want to be able to jerk it and give some real speed bursts. Any thoughts on general body design to achieve this?

Thanks,

Steve
hooks40

Postby dahlberg » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:24 am

HI S
Sounds like you are looking for Mr Whiggley!
Keep experimenting with body shape and center of gravity. In the last episode of this season I will show you a technique that might revolutionize your swim baiting....
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby hooks40 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:57 am

I think so. I was looking for Whiggley action in the shape of a trout. Because of the tall body, I got a wobbly action almost like a B-Flat which spins out at high speeds. I may be able to add some weight in the belly to reduce the wobble and allow it to operate at a higher speed, but too much weight will affect the neutral bouyancy I am trying to achieve.

Can you share general properties that you have observed that affect the swimbait performance in terms of body styles? It's great to experiment, but each trial cost about a pound of HS2, which reduces my beef jerky consumption.

Thanks!

Steve
hooks40

Return to Freshwater Questions