troll a zaraspook

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

troll a zaraspook

Postby svenole » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:15 am

hi,have you tried trolling the Z.S.for pike or musky? i know its a jerk bait but i was just wondering ? what topwater bait do you use for them when you troll? thanks ! :P
svenole

Re: troll a zaraspook

Postby Bob Daly » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:18 pm

Have seen guys in the Amazon troll woodchoppers for peacocks.
doradokiller
Bob Daly

Postby svenole » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:25 am

iil be fishing door county in wisconsin in greenbay >HOME OF THE WORLD CHAMP ! PACKERS!!!!! :!: :P :P :P :P :P < its very big water and im going to troll alot to cover more water.not alot of structor there .thanks >>)))))))))))0>
svenole

Postby aka anglinarcher » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:45 pm

First off, I'll admit that I have not done this. I can see two POTENTIAL issues, one bad, one good.

The Spook does not have any real action of its own if just straight retrieved. Sure, some slight side to side sway, but not the dog walking they are famous for. So, if your idea is to toss it out, put the rod in a holder, and wait for a strike as you troll, I would not consider this a high percentage technique, but .............. maybe if you tweak the bait to get a little more action. Note that the Woodchopper has action of its own when straight retrieved.

Second, if you keep the lure working as it was intended, with the rhythmic dog walking action, then it could be a great bait. You would need to keep the rod in your hands, jerk and let the rod settle back with slack to get the bait moving one way, then jerk and let the rod settle back to get it to walk back the other way, then a SLOW troll would indeed work. The Suick is an example of a diving jerk bait that I have used this method on and it works well at times.

I hope Larry chimes in, he has a lot more experience with this fish, but ................ I think it is worth a try if you consider the above two items.
I think my bucket list has a hole in the bottom!
aka anglinarcher

Postby svenole » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:19 pm

thanks,im new too musky fishing also and i live in wis. ?! i just want to up the odds .
svenole

Postby Dan Hanon » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:07 pm

Zara Spooks are not meant to be trolled, it's not worth even thinking about. You can only get the "walk the dog" action by coordinated wrist snaps during the retrieve. You would be much better off using a shallow diving lure made for trolling. A planer board can be used to control depth of presentation, if necessary. Saltwater offshore fisherman troll ballyhoo and streamers on the surface, so it can be done with certain lures and techniques. Curious what Larry would say.
Dan Hanon

Postby svenole » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:22 am

thanks
svenole

Return to Freshwater Questions