Lake of the Woods

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

Lake of the Woods

Postby steveleo » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:37 am

Larry, one more question on muskies. I like to go to very good spots to pursue fish and I think, from what I have read and heard, that Lake of the Woods sounds like a great choice to try for big muskies. What confuses me is it looks like it is in both Minn. and Ontario. If I really want the best fishing, what part is recommended? Also can you suggest a good time of the year for bigger fish action and perhaps another lake choice or two in the U.S. (Wisconson or Minn.?)
Last-I keep hearing that the new moon period is especially good for big muskies-any thoughts? Thanks-this info is helping me plan a trip for my first muskies!
steveleo

Re: Lake of the Woods

Postby Justin C » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:21 pm

Not Larry ...But what a wonderful lake! - a must for any serious muskie angler....You will want to fish the Canada side....NW angle, Kenora area, Sabaskong Area are all great! Big fish are present from opener (third Sat. of June) to ice-up but if I had to pick one time I would pick one of the last two weeks in July - Generally a rock bite at that time, blades during the day - topwater low light. - New moon can be good , Full moon can be good, last quarter can be good :P ...Weather will always trump moon phase on LOTW. This year new moon is end of July - should be prime.... Good luck.
Justin C

Return to Freshwater Questions