RIVER MUSKY STRATEGIES IN VA

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

RIVER MUSKY STRATEGIES IN VA

Postby Geddy » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:47 am

Hey All, just moved to Virginia and it seems a handful of the local rivers have healthy musky populations. Hot Dam! Anyway, these rivers have not frozen over this winter, have some swift currents in spots and actually look more like large trout streams in spots. My questions are how catchable are these fish in the next months? Are they hanging in in deep holes, do they try and warm up on warmer days-it was 64 yesterday. What approach should I take to catch them. Thanks Geddy
Geddy

Re: RIVER MUSKY STRATEGIES IN VA

Postby dahlberg » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:42 pm

Hi G
You should be able to catch them right now! I catch lots of river Muskies when the water temps are in the mid-thirties.
Do you know what the water temps are?
I'd suggest fishing all the areas that have deeper water and good cover, plus of course where these areas intersect with the upper riffle or lower tailouts of the pools. Try to always cast at an upstream angle and retrieve your lure down current. Not doing that is the single biggest mistake most river anglers make. Gliders and topwater would be my first choice depending on the layout of the river. If I had only one lure I'd pick one I make in my workshop called Mr Whiggley. You can see how to make it on the Makelure.com website.
good luck, and watch out for rocks!
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Geddy » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:17 pm

You the man Larry. Going foward ie. rising temps, how should I change my approach. Current water temps are high 30s-low 40s. Thanks again Geddy
Geddy

Postby dahlberg » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:31 pm

If that's the case the fish are still in the holes. I'd locate the biggest holes and "flat stretches" both upstream and downstream from the largest sets of fast shallow rapids and fish lures very slowly, or I'd bridle up live bait and drift it through the holes on balloons.

When the water begins to warm into the mid to high 50's the fish should be looking for spawning areas. Prior to that I'd guess they will gather in areas where spawning suckers can be intercepted.
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Geddy » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:35 pm

Thanks, I'll keep you informed. Geddy
Geddy

Postby TonyS » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:47 pm

Also look for tributaries! Great spots on a river to fish,especially if there is cover and sandy flats. I fish the potomac river and right now the muskies are on and hitting almost everything. Just have to find the right size of feed they are feeding on. lately crankbaits and bucktails in the 4-6 inch range are the ticket.

Good Luck & Tight Lines
Tony
TonyS

Postby walleye steve » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:57 pm

I'm also in virginia and starting to pursue musky more often, in the rivers. Over the last 3 weeks, the river temps have gone from the low 50s back down to the mid 40s. Should we expect the muskies to continue to push toward spawning areas, or fall back into the deeper pools?

I'm not sure what type of areas musky seek out for spawning, but i'll do my research.

Larry, Thanks for all that you've done for freshwater sport fisherman, I've been a fan for many years.

-steve
walleye steve

Postby TonyS » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:34 pm

Walleye Steve-The spawning areas are flats with sandy bottoms and very slow water. I went this morning to the spawning areas to see if they were there and i didn't have a follow. So tomorrow i'm going out in the river and see if they are still in the deep pools. I will let u know.
TonyS

Return to Freshwater Questions