Musky tackle

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

Musky tackle

Postby steveleo » Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:53 pm

Hi Larry-love the show! The question I have is about musky tackle. I tend to focus on seeking big trophy sized gamefish-snook, bonefish, bass etc. but I'd like to get into musky over the next few years and probably eventually get up to the Wisconsin area (St. Croix area) and maybe Lake of the Woods. If I wanted to buy one great outfit ( I assume baitcasting right?) that would be used for casting all of those lures I see-big spinners, swimming plugs, whopper ploppers etc) what would you recommend as far as length, action, and line pound test (braid?) and leader. I want to rely on guides' equipment as needed but would like to have at least one really good go-to rod and reel that I could use for big muskys. The other question is which whooper plopper color do you like best for these areas I mentioned? I want to order some. Thank you very much for your help.
steveleo

Re: Musky tackle

Postby flyfishing1 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:04 am

I know I'm not the man on this subject but I hope you don't mind me answering so I can be corrected in case I am wrong.

I'll go in reverse here, for color on top water lures is almost a moot point. When viewed from under they mostly look very dark or black because of the light sorce bein the sun overhead. However it is good to have at least a light and a dark color of topwaters. Dark for poor light so it cast a better shadow and is easier to spot. Light colors can be seen in clear waters when it isn't a bluebird day or if the fish and lure are both in shallow or near the surface together being viewed horizontaly. For any lure or fly I like to have a light color red/white, red/yellow, chartrues/X, a solid black or other very dark color, and something more natural for those clear water conditions.

I've seen lots of shows and read lots of articals were people are using 65lb braid for line but you could just as well use 30 lb braid or 30lb mono if you're on a budget. Florocarbon leaders are the craze on muskie/pike fishing right now it seems and if they were widely used before the past couple seasons I wasn't aware of it. They are nice but can still be bitten through. Good ole seven strand wire is a reliable way to go, been used for many years by many people I have found. Easy to work with too. I've been using the knotable stainless braided leaders myself and have liked them very well so far. They even make some titanium leader material out ther that is supposed to be the cats meow but I haven'e used it and if I remember it is kinda pricey.

I'm going to add a link at the bottom here for a suggestion on rod/reel combo. Even if you don't like the brand something like it from a company you trust is good place to start. One thing to take notice of is how the rods are classified by how heavy a lure they are designed to cast. This is my best shot, if you were interested in fly tackel I could have some more things I know about for you but that's about it outa me. Good luck out there, I hope this was a help.

P.S. A good guide goes a long way.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/store ... 00_100-3-1
flyfishing1

Postby dahlberg » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:41 am

Hi SL
The reason for the 65 braid is purely to keep the lure from going into orbit if you get a backlash on a super bomber cast with a heavy lure.
I'd go with either a 300or 400TE if you lean more toward hard pulling bucktails, or a Curado 300 if you don't.
Match it up with a seven and a half to 8 foot heavy action rod. (I use lots of shimano teremar rods or compre musky)
I've not yet found a color they won't bite on a Whopper Plopper.
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby flyfishing1 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:02 pm

That makes a lot of sense to use the heavy line that way. I hardly used casting outfits mostly spinning for the conventional tackle I have. That's probably why I never really thought of that problem. Those lures are expensive.
flyfishing1

Return to Freshwater Questions